Sunday, January 13, 2008

Punk Rawk


Had an interesting conversation today where someone tried to vilify Punk Rock and called it nothing more than noise pollution. Now I'm used to defending my music and don't take much stock in the opinions of others, allowing them to have theirs while I have mine. Refreshingly this person had an open mind and was receptive to what I had to share about why I like Punk.


While some bands can be crude and go out of there way to shock fans and critics a like, most bands develop lyrics and songs designed to empower or add insights to life, instead of the generic and politically safe lyrics of popular radio. And of course we talked about how raw the music can be for some people, but I retorted that its the melody and beauty inside of the songs that makes its music. When Jimi Hendrix first played everyone thought his style of music was just noise pollution. But then as they listened they learned to understand and appreciate the music buried in the frenetic wailing of Jimi. (Yeah I'm proud of that "frenetic" part, go me)


Another reason I learned to appreciate Punk was for the social commentary provided by bands such as Strike Anywhere, Anti Flag, and Dead Kennedys to name a few. All these bands have geniuses, some with Ivy League educations, pointing out the failings of society or government.


Not too mention it gets the blood going before surfing or skating.

No comments: